top of page
  • Why do I need an advocate?
    Let's be honest, if you didn't think you needed help you wouldn't be here right now, and you're making a wise decision asking for help. Our advocates become your personal expert. They take away the emotions of the meetings and present the documented facts of your child's educational needs. They level the playing field for you through their knowledge and expertise. Learn more here
  • How long does the process take?
    That all depends on the severity of the case or situation, how many meeting will be required and how well prepared the school is for those meetings. Usually there are multiple meetings in order to make an IEP truly individualized for the student with proper accommodations and goals. We strongly believe in two premises; 1. If you don't take the time to do it right, when will you make time to do it over? 2. You can have it right or right now, which do you prefer? Remeber, everything we do together is for your child's education for the rest of their academic career. The hours we spend now will greatly impact the years of education ahead.
  • How much does an advocate cost?
    The real question is what is your child's education worth? Your personal IEP expert has an extensive background in the special education field. Your personal IEP expert has spent years in the classroom as a certified educator, worked many hours as an administrator, knows the school policies, understands the school provided services and has a vast knowledge of IDEA law that protects your student's and your parental rights. Click here to see why you need an advocate Cornerstone Special Education Alliance requires a non refundable retainer fee of $300 for your personal expert to begin working with you. An hourly rate of $85 will be billed to the retainer first. Once the retainer is depleted the rate is billed directly to you on the 1st and 15th. All time is tracked and accounted for using time tracking software so there are no inflated fees. As a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit, we are continually seeking donations and sponsorships from the the private and corporate sectors that allow us to give scholarships through our board approval to those who find themselves under extreme financial hardship.
  • What if my child already has an IEP/504 but we're having trouble?
    Contact us to talk about your situation and see how we can help. We can help you review the documents, make sure they are up to date, resolve issues and ammend the documents during a meeting with the school. Visit our Get Help page to learn more
  • How do I know if my child needs special education services?
    If you notice that your child has had consistent difficulty with behavior or academics throughout their schooling, with assignments, homework, reading, math, social interactions, etc., then you might want to consider having your child evaluated. We can help walk you through the process and find out what might be going on and how to help them overcome their struggles in school with possibly a 504 Plan or an IEP with the proper accommodations
  • What qualifies as a disability?
    There are 13 categories of special education listed by IDEA. They are: Autism, Blindness, Deafness, Emotional Disturbance, Hearing Impairment, Intellectually Disabled, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, Other Health Impaired, Specific Learning Disability, Speech or Language Impairment, Traumatice Brain Injury, and Visual Impairment. In order to be considered, the student must have one of the disabilities and it must adversley affect their educational performance. Special Education Services are available for students from 3-22 years of age who attend a public institution.
  • What is the difference between a 504 Plan and an IEP?
    An IEP (Individual Education Plan) is an individualized plan that is written and mapped out by the IEP team specifically for a student that qualifies for special education services. It includes measurable goals and strategies designed for that studen and is enforced by the federal law of IDEA. A 504 Plan is an educational plan that is writted for a student who needs accommodations within the regular classroom environment. This usually pertains to students who have ADHD/ADD, psychological disorders, medical conditions and physical disabilities. This plan is governed by the Office of Civil Rights.

Don't see your question here? Go to our Contact Us page and send us your question. 

bottom of page